Thursday, June 29, 2006

New Vegetarian, Fish and Photography

Question For Savvy Vegetarian:

Hey! I just became a vegetarian because I saw the 'Meet Your Meat' video. When I told my mom I wanted to be a vegetarian, she asked me if I was still going to eat chicken and fish or not. At first I said no, but then I started thinking that if they're not being treated as bad as the pigs, cows, and chickens, then maybe I should start out eating fish then work my way off it. If I do end up eating fish, it will just be for a little while because I still think it's wrong to take them away from their homes and natural habitat. What do you think I should do as a starting vegetarian?

Savvy Veg Advice: I think you should take it easy, and gradually learn about vegetarian nutrition and how to cook vegetarian food. It takes a long time to become vegetarian, at least to do it right so you don't starve. So yes, it would be okay if you ate fish and eggs for a while, and gradually introduce new foods to replace them. The free reports I sent should be helpful.

I also had another question: Before I decided to be a vegetarian, I wanted to get into photography and developing pictures at home. But then I heard that the film contains gelatin (gross!) so now I'm having second thoughts about it. I was really interested in photography, and still am, but I don't know if those poor animals' lives would be worth the time and money. What do you think?

Savvy Veg Answer: Yes, film contains gelatin, but fortunately, there's digital photography. You can do all the same things with a digital camera, but - no film, no developing to pay for, you can edit your pictures on Photoshop and make them better, take 10 times more pictures at a time, and print your pictures. There's a big range of quality in digital cameras, from simple point and shoot to professional level - pick the one that works best for your budget and needs.

Good luck with your diet and your photography career! Let me know if you have more questions.

All the best,
Judy Kingsbury

No comments: