Saturday, June 17, 2006

Indian Lacto-Veg Wants To Lose Weight

Question For Savvy Vegetarian:

I want to reduce about 10kg (22 lb). At present I am 85kg (195 lb) and aged 62 years having high blood pressure controlled with med. Sugar near border but ok generally.

Savvy Veg Advice:

Dear R.S.,

I hope you are under a doctor's care, regarding your diet. I can only give you the following general tips, as I am not a medical or nutritional advisor.

These are some widely accepted principles for weight loss: Reduce saturated fat, as in butter, ghee, coconut oil, milk and cheese. Use high quality cold-pressed, unprocessed vegetable oils in moderation. Reduce high fat foods such as tofu, panir, ghee, nuts, fried foods. Eat more fresh fruit, vegetables, salads, whole grains,and legumes. Drink herbal teas, fresh juices, or water, rather than carbonated, sweet or caffeinated drinks. Avoid sugar in general, and reduce salt. Follow an exercise program appropriate for your age and health, approved by your doctor.

All of the above may help you to lower your calorie intake, and gradually reduce weight, and may also have a good effect on blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Consult your doctor before modifying your diet.

I hope this helps - I've attached the SV Vegetarian Nutrition Report for you. Please let me know if you have more questions.

All the best,
Judy Kingsbury
Savvy Vegetarian

No comments: