Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tizzy Over Veggie Visit, What To Do?

Could you please write an article for non vegetarians about how to handle feeding one? This is my number one problem when visiting people. I'm quite relaxed about it, but by the time I get there, they have worked themselves into a tizzy. You'd think I was an exotic pet - like a night or two of improper nutrition would have me floating belly up in my bowl. What do I tell them to do?

Z.K.


Dear Z.K.,

If someone (I hope not you) has been foolish enough to inform your hosts that you're a vegetarian, just tell them you're not a picky eater (it's ok to lie) and please don't cook anything but what they'd normally make. But part of being a good host is to feed guests and make them happy, so let them work themselves into a tizzy if they insist. Who are you to interfere with a Good Tizzy!

Thank them profusely for any efforts on your behalf, and eat it too! Ask for seconds. A few tears and hugs would be good. And always wash the dishes. Don't cook any wonderful vegetarian things in their kitchen - you'll just get in their way, and make them feel worse.

If they see you floating belly-up in your bowl, best to just ignore you - please don't flush you down the toilet, because you only look dead.

I will write a report about this - excellent idea! Thank you!
(I did - Veg-NonVeg Eat Together)

Judy Kingsbury, Savvy Veg

No comments: